Tips to Prevent Jet Lag
The summer is a great time of the year to travel and get away from home. Flying across the country or world can have its challenges including feeling jet lag which presents as symptoms of fatigue, insomnia, difficulty concentrating, gastrointestinal disturbances, mood changes, and just general disorientation. No one wants to get to their favorite beach or see family and then not feel well, so we are here to help! We’ve compiled some our favorite jet lag prevention supplements and tricks to help you enjoy your summer vacations to the fullest.
- Melatonin: Take 2 mg within one hour before you want to go to sleep every night while you are traveling (local time bedtime) and for a few days at bedtime when you return. Can also do any dose between 0.5-10mg if you have that instead, but you might need to play around with it to determine your optimal dose.
- Adrenal Assist (by Vitanica): Take 3 caps in the morning with breakfast Or another similar adrenal support supplement with adrenal supportive herbs
- Jet Lag Relief Kit (By Boiron): Take 5 pellets under the tongue and let dissolve. Do it the day before traveling, just before travel, and if have any jet lag symptoms, repeat 3x/day until symptoms are relieved.
- No Jet Lag (http://www.nojetlag.com/): Follow package dosing instructions
- L-theanine is helpful in the moment for in-flight anxiety
- Tri-Magnesium is calming and helps maintain bowel regularity when traveling.
Helpful Travel Habits to Follow:
- #1 – Stay hydrated before, on the plane, and upon arrival. Mineral water is helpful for maintaining electrolytes.
- Avoid alcohol especially on the plane.
- Try to avoid high glycemic and high sodium foods on the flight.
- Follow the local time zone upon arrival.
- Bring a face mask and ear plugs to help with sleep.
- Do your best to stay up to a normal local bedtime.
- Avoid blue light (cell phones, computers, and TV) one hour before bedtime.
- Get exercise where you are visiting.
- Spend at least 30 minutes outside in the sunlight without sunglasses as soon as possible when you arrive at your destination.
- Reserve at least one or two days to recover when you return home.
Those are our suggestions, but what have you found to be helpful?? Please let us know and we’ll give them a try too.
Your home for healing,