Dr. V’s Simple and Sensational Cabbage Salad
It can sometimes be tricky to find recipes that are the superstar combination of keto and vegetarian. Below is one such beauty. As the summer winds down, cabbage is an easily accessible vegetable and one with hidden talents. Garlic is a staple powerhouse and lemon a fan favorite. The unassuming but mighty cabbage, superfood garlic, and alkalinizing lemon together in this salad pack a powerful and delicious nutritional punch. This is a new kind of slaw—a potent immune-boosting, liver detoxifying, thirst-quenching variety that you’ll want to eat bowl after bowl.
Research supports the following health benefits:
- Medicinal Cabbage: Nutrient-rich (especially Vitamins C and K), anti-inflammatory, gut healthy, heart-healthy, liver and gut detoxifying.
- Superfood Garlic: Immune boosting, heart-healthy, antioxidant-rich, heavy metal detoxifying.
- Lovely lemon: is alkalinizing, high in Vitamin C, heart-healthy, improves digestion, supports weight loss, and may reduce cancer risk.
Dr. V’s Simple and Sensational Cabbage Salad (Paleo, Keto, and Vegetarian)
- 1 medium head of green or purple cabbage, shredded or sliced thin
- 1 head of garlic (not a clove, a head!) peeled and chopped fine
- Juice of 4 lemons
- 1/4-1/3 cup mayonnaise (I prefer Primal Kitchen’s Garlic Aioli or Chipotle avocado oil mayo)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Garnish of your choice
Time needed: 45 minutes.
- Prepare cabbage
Thinly slice the cabbage on a mandolin, by hand, or with the slicing attachment of a food processor.
- Mix ingredients
Place in a large bowl and combine with garlic, lemon and mayo. Add salt and pepper to taste. For a vegan paleo option, use vegan mayo.
- Rest salad for 30 minutes
For best flavor saturation, toss the salad for a few minutes, rest for a half-hour then toss again before serving.
Garnish with poppy or seeds, slivered almonds, paprika, additional pepper, fresh basil, mint, or other herbs.
As prepared by: Karen van Der Veer, ND